Monday, July 22, 2013

Patience

I know I don't often post about spiritual matters, but this is something I feel very strongly about. I just read the most incredible talk by Neal A Maxwell. It took me almost 2 weeks to finish it (I always got interrupted), but I'm so glad I did. Each time I started reading it again, I felt the Spirit so strongly. I have gained so many personal revelations and insights by reading this talk.

One of my favorite sections:

"Patience is, therefore, clearly not fatalistic, shoulder-shrugging resignation. It is the acceptance of a divine rhythm to life; it is obedience prolonged. Patience stoutly resists pulling up the daisies to see how the roots are doing. Patience is never condescending or exclusive—it is never glad when others are left out. Patience never preens itself; it prefers keeping the window of the soul open."

I wish I could explain the emotions I experienced while reading this talk. All I can say is that usually talks about patience tend to (ironically) make me feel impatient. I used to think along the lines of, "Okay, I get it, I understand that patience is important. Now can I have my blessings?" But now I feel like I finally understand. Patience isn't supposed to be a torturous virtue. It is supposed to help us gain all we can from this life. If I can master patience, I will be able to experience so much more while I'm here.

I'm sure everyone can benefit from reading this talk.
Even if it's a little bit here and there.
I highly recommend it.

No comments: