Tuesday, May 7, 2013

The Perks of Being a Registrar

* You get to meet people with gender-confusing names (Lindsay as a man, Devon as a girl....)

* You also get to hear allllll about their medical problems. From the past decade. Forget the fact that it has no relevance to my job. People just love to share.

* When patients remember your name. That always makes me feel good and guilty all at the same time.

* Just hearing things people say:
     "So they have to have nurses here 24 hours a day? That is astounding!"
     "You should carry a whip." (Coming from a man who I convinced to fill out paperwork after he initially refused....)
     "Wow, that's some bright nail polish you have there....are you allowed to have such bright nails?"

* Inspiration for the latest trends. Like the guy wearing a red shirt, red shorts, and red shoes. At least they were all pretty close to the same shade.

* Those days when you just have it, and you get several compliments from patients. Regardless of which BSA-colored uniform you happen to be sporting that day.

* The awkward awesome moments when you try to pronounce someone's name and you completely butcher it. Thank heavens they don't usually get offended. Usually.

* When a patient goes to get some food, and they offer to get you something. Which they sometimes do, despite a polite declination :) (I have gotten egg rolls and hot chocolate from patients. Mmm...)

* Those times when patients recognize you from when they were here "a year or so ago." And you've only been working here for 7 months.

* You get really good at sanitizing things.

* When a patient you helped earlier in the day comes by again, and spouts something off that should make sense to you, but it doesn't because you have to rack your brain for at least 60 seconds before you remember who they are.

* When a patient is absolutely rude to you, and then later comes back and apologizes. This is seriously the best, and I'll tell you why. I never get offended when a patient is rude to me. I don't condone it, but I figure they're the ones that have to be in a hospital, so who am I to judge their grumpiness? So when they come back to apologize and explain, it just reaffirms my faith in humanity. It seriously makes me so happy that I didn't previously get offended, so they feel that they can do that.

* The awkward moment when a patient asks how much longer, so you check the time of their appointment and you realize you never checked them in. So you lie to their face saying, "They're running about half an hour behind." Oops....I'm only human.

I'm sure there will be a part 2 to this later on.

3 comments:

Joe & Laurin said...

I just love this a lot. I also love how big of a heart you have and how you haven't given up on humanity! Amazing :) Oh, I miss you.

Kailey Vest said...

Oh the joys working in healthcare! I can totally relate on most of these! I pray that you never have a man put a ziploc bag of his wife's vaginal blood on your desk, then you feel like nothing you do can sanitize your desk enough!;) love ya babe!

Unknown said...

It sounds like we have about the same job! Except I work for surgical center instead of the hospital. Crazy!