Sunday, October 21, 2012

My Life, My Obsession

Two years ago I was having a casual conversation with a friend and fellow dancer when she asked, "Why do I love to dance?". She was only asking it hypothetically, and the conversation immediately turned to another topic. However, the question stuck with me. I later went home and just started writing, searching for my answer. This is what I ended up with:
Why do I love to dance? Obviously I really love to just move. Buy why exactly? Why dance? 
It is such an expressive medium. The Lord made our bodies to move. He has created us scientifically so we can move artistically. Our bodies were purposefully given a great range of motion, and we should use what the Lord gave us. I believe that using that full range of motion allows me to show my appreciation for what I've been given. When used to the full capacity that I am aware of and constantly yearning and searching for what I am still yet unaware of, I show and gain a greater appreciation for what I have been given. 
I believe improvisation is the purest form of dance. Most especially when the movement is unrestrained, and comes from the deepest corners of the heart. As I improvise, I am simply moving; moving in such a way that I don't even fully initiate. I feel more connected with my spirit, and with my Creator.
It is such a testimony builder to see and feel myself improve. If this art form was not pleasing to the Lord, He would not assist me in my growth as He has. I know that my life has been changed for the better due to dance, and I have seen evidence of others' lives improving as well. I feel myself reach deeper within myself each time I dance. As I reach and ponder the meaning of the current dance I'm performing, I find another little piece of evidence of who I am. 
Supplementing dance with my study of the gospel (and vice versa) has helped me discover myself, my true self, one combination or one verse at a time. I love my Heavenly Father, and anytime I dance, ultimately, I am dancing for Him. He knows me, even better than I know myself. Through dance, He helps me understand myself and His plan--His plan for me. I am a dancer, and I am a daughter of God. And He loves me.

No comments: